I started by giving it a light sand, a good cleaning and then a coat of primer. Once that dried I used some extra paint that was leftover from my kitchen remodel. I used a dark green that was actually a mishap color. You know when you get a great color and then it's either a bit too dark, or too light, or just isn't right? Well mine was too dark and so I took it back to Home Depot and had them play around with it a couple times until I liked it. So I don't know what color it is exactly. But for the inside I used a light creamy color called Hazelnut Cream by Behr. Anyway, this is how it looked after about 3 coats of paint.
I originally wanted to use our power sprayer to paint this. But the weather has not been cooperating to allow for a good enough day to take it outside. So I had to paint this by hand... it was a biotch! (Notice the inside of the cabinet isn't painted!)
After the paint dried I used Minwax Dark Walnut stain and applied liberally all over (working in sections) and then wiping off with an old t-shirt.
After I wiped it off I went back over it with a dry brush and worked the remaining stain into the wood. Finally after it was totally done drying (about 2 days!) I sprayed on 3 coats of satin poly. And the final result........
I decided on no distressing. I just thought it would look better without it.
But I do like the 2 tone with the paneling on the back.
The people I bought it from used it as a tv armoire... so that's why there's a hole right there. But I'll just set something right over the top of it and you'll never know! hahaha! I plan on using the bottom as storage for cookbooks, newspapers, coupons, and anything else that needs to be behind closed doors!
Now I still need to decorate it. I have a few things in my stash that I'll use here ... and also a few more project accessories I need to work on. So I will post that a bit later in the week.
Born To Party! Click here to link back to a party :)