Monday, May 9, 2011

It's Done!....

Well almost!  I have been working hard on the hutch for my kitchen.  If you've seen a few of my recent posts you know that I bought this second hand piece for $25.





I started by giving it a light sand, a good cleaning and then a coat of primer.  Once that dried I used some extra paint that was leftover from my kitchen remodel.  I used a dark green that was actually a mishap color.  You know when you get a great color and then it's either a bit too dark, or too light, or just isn't right?  Well mine was too dark and so I took it back to Home Depot and had them play around with it a couple times until I liked it.  So I don't know what color it is exactly.  But for the inside I used a light creamy color called Hazelnut Cream by Behr.  Anyway, this is how it looked after about 3 coats of paint.






I originally wanted to use our power sprayer to paint this.  But the weather has not been cooperating to allow for a good enough day to take it outside.  So I had to paint this by hand... it was a biotch!  (Notice the inside of the cabinet isn't painted!)

After the paint dried I used Minwax Dark Walnut stain and applied liberally all over (working in sections) and then wiping off with an old t-shirt. 






After I wiped it off I went back over it with a dry brush and worked the remaining stain into the wood.  Finally after it was totally done drying (about 2 days!) I sprayed on 3 coats of satin poly.  And the final result........








I decided on no distressing.  I just thought it would look better without it.








But I do like the 2 tone with the paneling on the back.







The people I bought it from used it as a tv armoire... so that's why there's a hole right there.  But I'll just set something right over the top of it and you'll never know! hahaha!  I plan on using the bottom as storage for cookbooks, newspapers, coupons, and anything else that needs to be behind closed doors!












Now I still need to decorate it.  I have a few things in my stash that I'll use here ... and also a few more project accessories I need to work on.  So I will post that a bit later in the week. 


Born To Party!  Click here to link back to a party :)





20 comments:

  1. That is so pretty! Great job Jennifer!!
    www.inside-outdesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful redo! I have never tried to put stain over paint but you are making me want to try!!! I love the look. I think I even have that Minwax darn walnut stain somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!! that turned out great!!! What a great deal as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! I have a hutch to makeover but have been nervous to start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great looking piece. I agree no distressing needed on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks great, love the color, and the shape of the piece. i've been wanting something similar, but i can't find one. thanks for sharing this at my party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is BEAUTIFUL!
    Thanks for stopping at Little Lucy Lu today! :-)
    I'm happy to follow you...
    ~Bec

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! New follower :) found you over at primitive & proper

    ReplyDelete
  9. it looks likea totally different piece! the finish is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very professional looking. Now come do mine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! I'd like to invite you to post it on Masterpiece Monday at Boogieboard Cottage. The link will be up all week, I hope you can join in. Have a nice week, Mary :O)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely LOVE your piece! What a fantastic find and price and it's soo pretty now!! I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Jennifer! I'm admiring all your creative posts here so can you please share them with us at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? Hope to see you there at the party :)

    ReplyDelete