Monday, May 9, 2011

It's Done!....

Well almost!  I have been working hard on the hutch for my kitchen.  If you've seen a few of my recent posts you know that I bought this second hand piece for $25.





I started by giving it a light sand, a good cleaning and then a coat of primer.  Once that dried I used some extra paint that was leftover from my kitchen remodel.  I used a dark green that was actually a mishap color.  You know when you get a great color and then it's either a bit too dark, or too light, or just isn't right?  Well mine was too dark and so I took it back to Home Depot and had them play around with it a couple times until I liked it.  So I don't know what color it is exactly.  But for the inside I used a light creamy color called Hazelnut Cream by Behr.  Anyway, this is how it looked after about 3 coats of paint.






I originally wanted to use our power sprayer to paint this.  But the weather has not been cooperating to allow for a good enough day to take it outside.  So I had to paint this by hand... it was a biotch!  (Notice the inside of the cabinet isn't painted!)

After the paint dried I used Minwax Dark Walnut stain and applied liberally all over (working in sections) and then wiping off with an old t-shirt. 






After I wiped it off I went back over it with a dry brush and worked the remaining stain into the wood.  Finally after it was totally done drying (about 2 days!) I sprayed on 3 coats of satin poly.  And the final result........








I decided on no distressing.  I just thought it would look better without it.








But I do like the 2 tone with the paneling on the back.







The people I bought it from used it as a tv armoire... so that's why there's a hole right there.  But I'll just set something right over the top of it and you'll never know! hahaha!  I plan on using the bottom as storage for cookbooks, newspapers, coupons, and anything else that needs to be behind closed doors!












Now I still need to decorate it.  I have a few things in my stash that I'll use here ... and also a few more project accessories I need to work on.  So I will post that a bit later in the week. 


Born To Party!  Click here to link back to a party :)





19 comments:

  1. That is so pretty! Great job Jennifer!!
    www.inside-outdesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful redo! I have never tried to put stain over paint but you are making me want to try!!! I love the look. I think I even have that Minwax darn walnut stain somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!! that turned out great!!! What a great deal as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! I have a hutch to makeover but have been nervous to start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great looking piece. I agree no distressing needed on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks great, love the color, and the shape of the piece. i've been wanting something similar, but i can't find one. thanks for sharing this at my party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is BEAUTIFUL!
    Thanks for stopping at Little Lucy Lu today! :-)
    I'm happy to follow you...
    ~Bec

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! New follower :) found you over at primitive & proper

    ReplyDelete
  9. it looks likea totally different piece! the finish is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. turned out great love the color

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very professional looking. Now come do mine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! I'd like to invite you to post it on Masterpiece Monday at Boogieboard Cottage. The link will be up all week, I hope you can join in. Have a nice week, Mary :O)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing at the newbie party!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely LOVE your piece! What a fantastic find and price and it's soo pretty now!! I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete